Recovery from rape and other sexual offences takes time and like most healing processes goes through phases. Your recovery process will have an impact on your life, and on the lives of those close to you. The pain of your experience will affect them as well.
You will need various forms of support during this time, and it’s recommended that you seek it as soon as you are ready and able to. Remember that if those supporting you at home need support, this is often available for them to.
In general, it is worth reading this helpful booklet from Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust – You and Rape (free for download in English, Afrikaans and Xhosa)
Counselling and support centres
• The Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust. Offers Counselling, Court support and Court Preparation. www.rapecrisis.org.za. Observatory – 021 447 9762. Athlone – 021 633 9229. Khayelitsha – 021 361 9085.
• MOSAIC Training, Service and Healing Centre for Women. Offers a range of service relating to Domestic Violence. www.mosaic.org.za. Wynberg: 021 761 7585.
• SWEAT. Offers advice and legal support to sex workers. www.sweat.org.za. Observatory – 021 448 7875.
• The Women’s Legal Centre. Offers free legal advice to women, and takes up litigation relating to extending women’s protection under the law. www.wlce.co.za. Cape Town 021 425 5660.
• Women’sNet. Experts in the field of women’s rights online. Can assist with queries relating to online harassment. Newtown. 011 429 000.
• People Opposing Woman Abuse (POWA). Runs shelters for abused women and offers advice. Berea – 011 642 4345/6. Also has offices in Tembisa, Evaton, Soweto, Katlehong, and Vosloosrus.
• OUT. Offers advice and support to LGBT people. Hatfield. 012 430 3272.
• Agisanang Domestic Abuse Prevention and Training (ADAPT). Counselling and support services. Alexandria. Contact 011 885 3305.
• Justice and Women. Educational and paralegal activities around abuse. Pietermaritzburg and Melmoth. Contact them on 033 394 9949
• Lifeline Durban. Offers 24 Hour Counselling as well as rape crisis counselling. Durban. Office phone 031 303 1344. Crisis phone 031 312 2323.
• Masimanyane Women’s Support Centre. Offers support and Advice. East London. Call 043 743 9169.
• Thusanang Advice Centre. Offers advice and a place of safety. Qwaqwa. Call 058 713 6074 or 082 495 9013.
• Thohoyandou Victim Empowerment Project. 24 hour trauma support centre. Thohoyandou. Call 015 963 1222.
• Lethabong Legal Advice Centre. Offers free legal advice. Call 012 270 1343.
Click here for Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 of this series.