There are many things I have learnt from my mom, whom I consider to be not only an amazing mother, but a dear, close friend, a confidant… someone who sits at the dinner table with me and listens to everything I have to say and never judges me. I count myself among the lucky who are so blessed.
To let you all in on how awesome I think she is, I thought I would share my Top 10 (in no particular order) lessons I have learnt from my mom.
1. “If people don’t add value to your life, then they shouldn’t be in your life. End of story.” As a result I have learnt how to value true friends even more and stand up to the fake ones.
2. “Wait for your father to get home!” This was the line that sparked fear in our hearts and we knew that we were in BIG trouble. To avoid hearing this line, I started to think twice about my actions and decisions made. It really worked!
Mom is all about cleanliness. Shower before bed, before you go out, in the morning. Be clean, and smell fresh. My boyfriend couldn’t describe my natural scent for months, until one day he blurted out “You just smell so damn clean! I love it.” I know.
4. “If you’re two-minded about something, don’t do it.” As Simple as that.
5. “If the kitchen and bathroom is clean, the rest of the house looks clean.” When I moved in with my boyfriend and his best friend, this little tip resonated with me in a big way especially as I was not dealing with the most domestic men in the world!
6. Be pleasant with your enemies – it will confuse them.
7. When faced with a bottle of red wine, pour a glass or two. A truer lesson has not been taught. Mom always says “there is nothing quite like a glass of good wine at the end of the day.” Best consumed in the company of great people.
8. Self-respect. If you don’t love yourself, how can you expect others to?
9. Friends are important. Value them. ‘Girls Day/Night Out’ is essential.
10. There is nothing quite like home. Which I realised even more when I rocked up at my parents’ house, bags and all, sobbing my heart out because my relationship had just ended. My mom pulled me into her arms and rocked me back and forth until I cried myself to sleep. There really is nothing like it.
I love you, mom.
Follow Women24 on Twitter.
Follow Lauren on Twitter and visit her blog for more.
Do you have any motherly life lessons that
stuck to you? Share it with us in the box below.