What's the first thing that springs to mind when you think of a child?
For me, it's happiness, pleasure, innocence and delight. I think of fun and exciting times with little worries and even less concerns.
You know, the innocence of a child that so many of us admire.
But don't forget about the group of children living with life-threatening diseases such as cancer, leukemia, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, kidney failure and HIV/Aids.
For these kids, the magic of youth is often lost becasue of the emotional, physical and financial implications of dealing with their ill health.
Thankfully there are people and organisations who bring hope and healing to countless young South Africans in their times of need.
Enter The Reach For A Dream Foundation. Launched 21 years ago, their core mission is to encourage children of all income groups, of any race, colour or creed between the ages of 3 and 18 years, to use their dreams to fight back.
And this year, the RFAD Foundation celebrates its 21st birthday and the fulfillment of 8 500 dreams.
How you can get involved
1. Volunteer your time to the organisation.
2. Become a friend of the Foundation and:
Donate via their website.
Sign up to become a monthly donor via debit/stop order.
Support on of their fundraising projects.
Make a donation in honour of someone special.
3. Sponsor a dream by offering your products/ services at no cost.
4. Nominate RFAD as your company's (CSI) partner and build your brand while supporting a good cause.
5. Donate your SAA Voyager Miles and help fulfil a child's dream to fly anywhere in South Africa.
6. Give as you earn – join their monthly employee-giving programme.
7. Buy RFAD souvenirs.
8. Refer a child – if you know a child between 3 and 18 years who has a life-threatening illness, please let RFAD know.
For more information, email email@example.com or visit www.reachforadream.org.za