These days, semi-formal can mean a cocktail dress or a pair of nice jeans with a dressy top and a pair of high heels. It all depends on the culture of the event and the people attending.
Women are also very comfort-driven when it comes to dressing, both textile and design wise. For me, I love any excuse to dress up. All I need is the slightest hint of a "formal, semi-formal" occasion and I'm deciding which cocktail outfit I'm going to wear.
For others, however, even the thought of having to source such an item sends them reeling.
So how do we deal with this undefined ordeal? Well, in my experience, most rush out to the mall a few days before (or even ON the day of) the big event, hoping to find something suitable. Out of desperation, women usually spend a lot of money on something they will never wear again and don't even feel fabulous in.
Planning is essential
The simple answer to this question is plan. Although it sounds so simple, it's the obvious answer women often miss.
Here are some tips to make planning for your glamour events effortless:
1. Give some thought to the look you would like to create. Think of what would make you feel fabulous for the event.
2. If you are concerned about wearing something inappropriately dressy or casual for the event, call the host, hostess or others attending the event for a guideline.
3. Take a look at what is in your wardrobe. You might have a lovely pair of trousers or a skirt that just need a little dressing up. If you don't have such an item in your wardrobe, maybe it's time to look for one to add to your basic wardrobe.
4. Go shopping when you have an idea of what you are looking for. Decide to do this a few weeks before the time, so you can plan well.
5. Select a few items that can be dressed up and down and won't date easily. i.e. a beautiful printed silk blouse can be worn with a satin skirt for a formal look or a pair of trousers or jeans for a less formal look or you could purchase a matching printed skirt and blouse and dress it up or down. Wear together for a formal look or as separates for a dressed down look (e.g., wear the blouse with a pair of trousers /jeans or the skirt with a cami and flat shoes).
6. Accessorise to dress your look up and add that fashionable flair e.g. a beautiful pair of high heels or a fashion colour pashmina can dress up a simple dress.
7. Most importantly, wear what makes you feel fabulous!
Follow Women24 on Twitter.