Women really seem to struggle to dress with style in winter time. Our need to keep warm often lends itself to a chunky look rather than a stylish and chic one.
Luckily chic dressing is highly fashionable at the moment, so by adding a few dynamic pieces to your wardrobe, you can transform your winter look from sloppy to stylishly warm in an instant.
Long gone are the days when women needed to wear a corporate suit everyday to be taken seriously, but sloppy winter wear won't quite cut it either.
1. The jacket is a back. Jackets of various shapes are all the rage this season. Select a lined jacket that is nipped in the waist to wear over layered tops and blouses for warmth and style all in one.
2. Make use of tights and boots. Knee high boots worn with a knee length skirt and tights do wonders for keeping you snug and stylish. If knee high boots are not your thing, than wear closed toe shoes or fashionable ankle boots with opaque tights in the same colour for warmth.
Tights are a wonderful way to conceal the colour or texture of your legs, and have the added bonus of making your legs look much longer and slimmer than they really are if they're the same colour as your boots or shoes.
3. Waistcoats. They are especially fashionable this winter, but also offer several benefits. A well-fitted, lined waistcoat can do wonders to create a waist for those who lack shape and to pull in the tummy. They also keep the core part of your body warm while offering shape and freedom of movement in your arms.
They work well for day wear, casual wear and evening wear if you want to create the "tuxedo" look.
Winter casual doesn't have to include big baggy jerseys and track pants. Get creative with your look so that you don't forever yield to the temptation of hibernation.
1. Leather jackets. Leather jackets are on trend for this season. They offer a wonderful way to keep stylishly casual and safe from the freezing cold. Select a jacket that gives you enough room to add a few layers underneath and has shape, but is not two sizes too big for you. Remember that several thin layers work better than fewer bulky layers.
2. Casual boots. Keeping warm is often about keeping your feet warm and dry. These can be in the form of leather riding boots, Ugg boots or funky decorated wellingtons. Which ever style works for you make sure they are basic enough to wear with almost anything in your wardrobe.
3. Knits. Avoid chunky knits unless you are petite. Knits with vertical stripes are only going to make you look wider. Rather select thinner knits and layer with cotton long sleeve v-neck tops underneath and your winter jacket as your final winter protection.
This is usually one of the areas that women struggle the most. There are great alternatives to wearing a slinky satin dress and ending up with quivering blue lips! Here are some tips to a fabulous winter glamour look that won't leave you out in the cold.
1. Think luxury fabrics. There are quite a few glamorous fabrics that offer warmth and style, including velvet, leather, wool, faux fur and cashmere. One of my favorite basics in my winter wardrobe is a knee length tailored velvet coat. Because it's made of velvet, it offers warmth and glamour not only for every day but for evening wear too.
2. Embrace long skirts. A long skirt in beautiful fabric can also offer warmth and style. When it comes to selecting an appropriate long skirt, it's important to try out various styles and cuts to discover which suits you best. Once again, you can wear tights and closed shoes or boots underneath a long skirt for extra warmth.
3. A glamour blouse. Every woman should have a blouse in her wardrobe that can be dressed up or down for special occasions. Satin long-sleeved fitted blouses in a colour that suits your complexion will work wonders for this. Worn with a long black skirt and a velvet coat for the evening chill, you will be ready to enjoy your evening.
4. Accessorise. This is a great time of the year for dynamic pashminas, faux fur stoles and chandelier earrings. Select a statement piece that can dress up any outfit.
Hopefully these tips will inspire you create a fabulously chic winter look that will keep you warm and make you feel fabulous all in one!
Looking for style advice?
Join The House of Tracy Gold, Bobbi Brown cosmetics and ghd specialist Franco International for a mini makeover workshop and learn to create a new and improved you.
This informative and interactive workshop will be run by fashion designer, personal stylist and published fashion writer, Tracy Gold and her expert team. It will give you great practical tips on how to create a look that best suits your body shape, lifestyle, personality, life stage and budget.
The workshop will start with a short introduction from the makeover professionals on how to:
- Lose 5Kgs just by getting dressed in the morning by Tracy Gold.
- Enhance your natural beauty with make-up tips from the Bobbi Brown make-up artists.
- Style your hair with ease for a natural every day look from Franco International hairstylists.
Ladies will rotate with the various experts to receive individual styling tips from each professional.
Products from The House of Tracy Gold and Bobbi Brown cosmetics will be available for sale. The professionals will assist you in making the correct purchases to suit your individual needs. Credit card facilities will be available.
Thursday 19 August 2010
39 St Albans Avenue
Child care facilities are available at R60 per child. Booking is essential. For more information click here.
Morning session: 09:00 – 12:30
Afternoon session: 13:30 – 17:00
Each workshop session will accommodate a maximum of 25 ladies to ensure that each participant has one-on-one time with each professional.
R550.00 per person or R450 per person for groups of 3 or more.
This includes a goody bag to the value of at least R300, prizes to be won, light snacks and refreshments.
Call: 073 757 2551 or email: email@example.com
Personal styling sessions and makeover packages also available. For more information, please visit www.houseoftracygold.co.za or call 073 757 2551.