1. It's okay to suggest a drink instead of dinner for a first date. She dreads a boring four-course ordeal, too.
2. Call her by early evening on Monday to confirm a Tuesday get-together. (Weekends aren't for first dates.)
3. If you want to keep the plans a surprise, at least clue her in so she has a fair idea what to wear. You do not want an overdressed, overstressed woman navigating the Big Rib Tavern in high heels.
4. She expects you to know her eye colour after the first date.
5. Yes, she'll notice if the date location you've chosen is conveniently around the block from your place.
6. Don't assume that just because you're out with a beautiful woman,
she knows how pretty she looks - she wants to hear it from you.
7. Ask if she's too cold or too warm, and if changing the temperature is in your power, fix it.
8. When in doubt, hold her hand.
9. Men judge women according to whether they can picture having sex with them; women judge men by whether they can imagine kissing them. White teeth, fresh breath and unchapped lips make her more apt to pucker up.
10. Do not ask her, “So, what kind of music do you like?” The last 25 guys asked that. Be original.
11. Tip well: grab the bill, mentally divide it by 10, double that number, and
throw down the tip. Do it quickly but casually. Believe me, she'll be watching.
12. If she touches your arm, she's interested; if she touches your leg, she's interested tonight.
13. Leave your home and work numbers. No home number and she'll assume you have a wife or girlfriend.
14. Very small protective gestures go a long way and show her you're a gentleman: offer your arm as she's stepping from a curb, direct her away from shards of broken glass à la Say Anything. She'll notice if you wait until she's safely in her car or house before you leave. Wait the extra 90 seconds, and next time you might be going in with her.
15. Women need momentum - without it, they lose interest or wonder if you have. Momentum = a minimum of one date a week, plus a couple of phone calls in between.
16. She knows that when you invite her over for a homemade meal or to watch a movie, it's code for “tonight is hook-up night”. Don't play this card any earlier than date three.
17. Don't say, "I'll call you," if you have no intention to. She'd prefer that you say nothing at all.
18. A Friday or Saturday night is required by date four. Otherwise, she'll wonder who else you're seeing.
19. Rule of Genital Groping: if anything happens that couldn't be shown on prime-time TV, call her the next day. Otherwise, she'll feel cheap and used.
20. She loves when you insist on ordering dessert. Sharing = extra sexy.
Image: True Love/ Nadette Clare-Talbot