Table Mountain was voted as the 7th Natural Wonder of the World and it would never have happened without the passion of these women.
Amongst other grand and impressive natural wonders such as the Amazon (South America)and Halong Bay (Vietnam), Table mountain will now be read about in school textbooks around the world.
It would never have happened, however, without these 7 women:
• The first and most significant was Birgit Ottermann, a passionate journalist at 24.com who had tried, and failed for months to interest a series of tourism organisations.
• 2 days before deadline, and at her wits end, she contacted the Table Mountain cableway’s Sabine Lehman (CEO). Sabine saw the considerable opportunity and quickly got the entry in (a mere 200 dollars to enter) with hours to go on 31st December 2008. Next came 3 years of serious work.
• Collette Van Aswegen, head of marketing at the Table Mountain cableway and Sabine ran the campaign with no budget for 2 years. Originally one of 100’s, they brought us into the top 28.
• At the beginning of 2011, a little budget was scratched together to hire Fiona Fury to manage the campaign in the last year. She worked tirelessly to generate the momentum that was required.
• Patricia de Lille, major of the city came to the party with some marketing budget and provided it with the meat to bring it to the public with attitude. Things started snowballing and the votes came piling in.
• Helen Zille, our Premier, provided massive support and the momentum it needed to get people excited and voting.
• All these women have one thing in common. Passion. Passion for our beautiful country and the most beautiful (and 7th) woman of all, Table Mountain.
These women showed us what belief, energy and tenacity it takes to make something awesome happen. Thank you to all you wonderful women for making a difference.
Do you feel the pride?
By: Caro de Waal