Can’t find the perfect headboard or don’t want to spend unnecessary cash? Follow these simple steps and design a funky shabby-chic headboard for a more casual look.
You will need:
Grain sacks, hemp, or fabric of choice
Staple gun and staples
• Design your own cardboard pattern and use a pencil to trace its outline onto the chipboard.
• Flip the pattern as desired, creating convex and concave curves.
• Use a jigsaw to cut the chipboard along the pencil line with a craft knife.
• Spread fabric across the chipboard and batting.
• Start with the left portion of the headboard and staple fabric to the back of the chipboard.
• Pull fabric taut and then staple fabric to the right side of the back of the chipboard.
Note: If the pattern involves curves, first cut 5cm slits into the fabric at the board’s curves to release tension.
• Next, staple fabric to the top portion of the insulation sheathing, inserting staples into the back of the board.
• Pull fabric taut and repeat the procedure on the bottom portion of the insulation sheathing.
• Cut away excess fabric and batting with fabric shears.
• Lay headboard flat and iron or steam out wrinkles.
Janice Anderssen is our decor and DIY expert. Ask her a question here, or visit her website.