Are you in desperate need of some me-time to recharge your energy levels?
A spa bathroom is a clean-lined and clutter-free environment that exudes a calming atmosphere and acts as your own personal sanctuary and getaway. Clearing clutter, using toned-down colours, softening lighting and adding a few accessories to enhance the in-home spa look are just some of the things you can do to transform your bathroom.
• Organising your space and having a place for everything will lessen your anxiety and create an instant calming effect.
• Clear out your clutter with a vanity that offers ample storage space or beautiful wicker baskets that will enhance and complement your bathroom.
• Another way to take care of a messy bathroom is to create various storage solutions for different bathroom functions. Rather than having towels tossed anywhere, install one or two towel rails. For the ultimate in luxury, opt for a heated towel rail.
• Most spas choose warm neutral colours around which they base their decor. Browns are earthy and will make you feel safe, while whites are clean, fresh and pure.
• When choosing which tiles to use for your bathroom wall and floor, stick with colours that will calm your mood. “Make sure to choose similar tones as variations of the same colour will enhance the harmony in your space,” says Kate van Niekerk of Tile Africa.
• Take your inspiration from nature by bringing natural elements into your bathroom to help you restore your sense of serenity. Your fixtures and accessories can all resemble nature - a deep, rich wood vanity or free-standing bath on a wooden base, sandstone cladding used as a feature wall behind a stone basin or natural stone listelli as an interesting border.
• If you’re looking for a slightly simpler way to include nature in your spa bathroom, increase the green factor with the inclusion of plants, both large and small. Indoor plants contribute to making a space appear airy and bright.
• When it comes to placement, try to protect your plants from the shower spray and direct streams of water as this can damage their leaves.
• Spas don’t just appeal to your sight and touch; they also soothe you with sounds. Keep a CD player hidden in your bathroom and play calming music whenever you dip into a relaxing bath.
Follow Women24 on Twitter and Meagan on Twitter.