So, you've decided to renovate your bathroom, but you're not sure where tostart or what to do. Well, have no fear. Here are a few tips to ease your stress.
Finding a plumber
- Find a reputable plumber who has a plumbers card approved by the local authorities.
- Ask the plumber for references and call them.
Work out a renovation budget
- Negotiate paying an upfront deposit of 30%, a further 30% halfway through the project and the final 40% only on completion of the work and when you are satisfied everything works.
- It is a good idea to add 10% to your total budget for unforeseen expenses that may occur.
- Plumbing renovations = water interruptions, so make the necessary arrangements beforehand.
- Double check with your plumber that he will be responsible for the removal of all rubble.
Know your products
- If the plumber tries to talk you out of a product you have chosen, chances are they don’t know how to install the product.
-All reputable plumbing product manufacturers have technical support available, let the plumber use this opportunity as it should be a free service
- Check when choosing plumbing products that there are spares readily available
- Confirm with the retailer what the products warrantee covers you for i.e. malfunction of working parts, etc.
See part two here.
Have you renovated your bathroom? Share your tips in the box below.