I receive a lot of questions, frantic phone calls and emails from women who want to know what she should wear to a specific function or event.
The questions are usually fraught with panic and frustration in attempt to dress appropriately.
What does semi-formal, smart-casual or elegantly casual mean? Can I wear trousers to a formal occasion or must it be a dress?
In the days when women wouldn’t dare wear anything less casual than an evening gown to the theatre and hats were the order of the day for a day wedding, women were clear about what the parameters were for appropriate dressing.
These days semi-formal can mean a cocktail dress or a pair of nice jeans with a dressy top and a pair of high heels. It all depends of the culture of the event and the people attending the event.
Women are also very comfort driven when it comes to dressing these days. For me, I love any excuse to dress up.
So how do we deal with this undefined ordeal?
Well, in my experience, most rush out to the mall a few days before (or the day before) the big event, in hope of finding something suitable.
Out of desperation, women usually will spend a lot on an item they will never wear again and don’t even feel fabulous in.
The question is, how do you go about this differently? How do you find an outfit that fits well, is suitable for the occasion, you will wear again and you feel fabulous in?
The simple answer to this question is plan. Although it sound so simple, it’s the obvious answer women often miss.
Here are some tips to make planning for your glamour events effortless:
• Give some thought to the look you would like to create. Think of what would make you feel fabulous for the event.
• If you are concerned about wearing something inappropriately dressy or casual for the event, call the host, hostess or others attending the event for a guideline.
• Take a look at what is in your wardrobe. You might have a lovely pair of trousers or a skirt that just need a little dressing up. If you don’t have such an item in your wardrobe, maybe it’s time to look for one to add to your basic wardrobe.
• Go shopping when you have an idea of what you are looking for. Decide to do this a few weeks before the time, so you can plan well.
• Select a few items that can be dressed up and down and won’t date easily. i.e. a beautiful printed silk blouse can be worn with a satin skirt for a formal look or a pair of trousers or jeans for a less formal look.
• Accessorise to dress your look up and add that fashionable flair.
Most importantly, wear what makes you feel fabulous!
Follow Women24 on Twitter.
Need some help to create a look that makes you feel fabulous?
Visit Tracy's website for more details tracygold.co.za
Renowned for her work as a personal stylist and fashion designer, Tracy Gold offers a variety of personal styling services especially designed to assist you to feel fabulous about yourself.