Discover your personal style and ask Tracy Gold for help with your fashion foibles. Read more
I am a lady of 32 yrs, who is very getting tired of choosing what to wear when I have to go to work or to a date or just shopping. One thing I can do is dress quick and smart when I go to church.
My problem is my body shape. I have a big stomach and no butt! My body shape changed when I started taking pills as part of a treatment for an illness I have. Please help me figure out what style I can try for my square body shape?
Hi Amanda. Let's start with the most important.
If you haven't had a tummy before and you suddenly get one, you need to learn to dress it.
Here are some tips on how to de-emphasise your tummy:
1. Avoid wearing long baggy tops to hide your tummy as it only makes it look bigger.
2. Wear lower waisted trousers (just below your belly button) with a wide waistband to "pull" in your tummy.
3. Avoid trousers and skirts with pleats and pocket detail as it adds extra bulk.
4. Wear tops with shape in the waist that end just below the tummy, not longer.
5. If you struggle to find blouses that fit your shoulders and close at your tummy, wear one that has shape and fits your shoulders. But here's the trick: wear it open with a cotton cami underneath. This will draw the eye down the body instead of across.
When it comes to your concern of having no butt, what can work well for that is wearing skirts.
Try fishtail or aline skirts that end at your knee or are full length. Be careful of trying to add bulk to your butt as it may just make your profile seem wider.
Focus on areas you really like about your body shape and dress to attract those.
We often focus all our attention on the parts we don't like and attempt to cover them up. See your body as a whole and dress your whole body. This will help you create a more balanced look.