Discover your personal style and ask Tracy Gold for help with your fashion foibles. Read more
Hi there. I'm going to a launch next week with the dress code "chic & sophisticated". It's in Cape Town at night, so might be chilly. What do you recommend I wear?
Here are some tips on what to wear when:
• Give some thought to the look you would like to create. Think of what would make you feel fabulous for the event.
• If you are concerned about wearing something inappropriately dressy or casual for the event, call the host, hostess or others attending the event for a guideline.
• Take a look at what is in your wardrobe. You might have a lovely pair of trousers or a skirt that just need a little dressing up. If you don’t have such an item in your wardrobe, maybe it’s time to look for one to add to your basic wardrobe.
• Go shopping when you have an idea of what you are looking for. Decide to do this a few weeks before the time, so you can plan well.
• Select a few items that can be dressed up and down and won’t date easily. i.e. a beautiful printed silk blouse can be worn with a satin skirt for a formal look or a pair of trousers or jeans for a less formal look.
• Accessorise to dress your look up and add that fashionable flair.
With regards to dressing for a chilly evening, wear something that can easily layered for warmth. If the venue is heated, you will just need to have a cover up for when you go out. If not, wear something warm so you don't end up feeling uncomfortable for the entire evening. Goosebumps aren't chic.