Joy Terri began her career as a professional make-up artist, specialising in fashion make-up for magazines. Read more
Hi. I'm 29, and still have quite oily skin. My problem is that if I use a cream / mouse based foundation my skin gets very irritated, and comes out in a rash. I've given up trying to use foundation / concealer, and just use a bit of compact powder on my eyes in the morning to help my eyeshadow stay where it's meant to. Any advice on what products I can use, that won't leave me feeling like I've got 4 pounds of makeup caked onto my face? Thanks!
You need an oil-free foundation. If the foundation is free of oil and water-based, you will get an even, moderate cover, without feeling the ‘heaviness’ of make-up applied.
A true oil-free foundation can be tested on a thin brown paper bag (or use the wrapping paper used to cover school books).
1. Apply a blob of foundation onto the paper and leave to dry.
2. Once dry, if you notice a large spread of oil beyond the boundaries of your test patch, you are not working with an oil-free foundation!
An oil-free foundation would only result in a thin ring at the outermost edge of the foundation test patch (caused when any liquid foundation dries on paper).
3. After applying foundation, for those with an oily skin, blotting away oil on the face needs to become a regular application throughout the day. Keep an oil blotting powder with you and perhaps on each visit to the bathroom, blot away the fresh shine.
If you simply blot away shine regularly with a very thin application of the right powder or product, you won’t create ‘build-up’ on the skin. This may seem excessive to you, but in the make-up world, it's not unusual to powder your face 5-6 times per day.
The following are some product suggestions:
- Bobbi Brown - Blotting Papers
- M.A.C - Blot Film
- M.A.C - Prep+Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (Loose)
- M.A.C - Prep+Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (Pressed)
- PMU Online - UltiMatte T-Zone Mattifier (applied before foundation for excessively oily skin)
- PMU Online - Oil-free Matte Foundation
- PMU Online - Touch-up Powder
- Clinique - Pore Minimizer T-Zone Shine Control
See more tips on how to choose the correct foundation for a flawless finish.