I’ve been watching this horrible Mel Gibson saga unfold in the media with unease and distaste.
I, along with a lot of others, used to think he was the cat’s pajamas. Like if you asked me at any given time to name four awesome things about old Mel I could’ve given them instantly: Lethal Weapon, Lethal Weapon 2, Lethal Weapon 3 and Lethal Weapon 4. Duh.
But seriously, remember Tim? Gallipoli? Mad Max? The man was a great actor and smoking hot to boot. And now? I can think of only one word: repulsive.
In order to write this, I’ve had to listen to all 4 audio tapes. And I can tell you that it turned my stomach. So not only am I’m ill-equipped to analyse Mel Gibson’s brand of despicable craziness, but my sensibilities are also too fragile.
Let’s just leave it at eeew.
Defending his rants
What fascinates me though, is the amount of comments we got defending Gibson (and had to censor because of the sky-high asshole rating). And I’m not even talking about the usual run-of-the-mill bigot we deal with on a daily basis. Family men, mothers, religious folk and fangirls all had the same refrain.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to divide the misguided defense in 3 categories:
1) It’s despicable to record someone without their permission.
2) Don’t judge someone from what is said/done in anger.
3) What happens in relationships are private and should be kept between two parties.
Now, watch me make 3 sweeping statements based on nothing but common sense.
1) The first defense is made by people with a lot to hide. If their bosses/ wives / friends had to tape them secretly they’d soon be out of a job/ marriage/ friendship.
2) The 2nd defense is made by wives who stay with abusive husbands and allow themselves to be treated like shit.
3) The 3rd defense is made by people who still believe the community and or police shouldn’t interfere in a “domestic disturbance”. You know – when your boyfriend punches you in the face while you’re holding his baby it should really just be sorted out between the two of you, you big crybaby.
I’m sorry guys. But the last time I checked we had no qualms with seeking justice and punishment for criminal behaviour. And that’s what Gibson’s behaviour was. Death threats, intimidation, abuse, violence… you're not supposed to get away with that. So stop making excuses and let the douchebag get what he deserves.
Have you lost your respect for Mel Gibson? How do you feel about this story? Tell us in the box below