Five tips for employers from Thandi Masupye, owner of Thandi G Placement Agency for Domestic Workers.
1. Don't employ someone off the streets. Even if friends and family recommend that person, you still have to
interview that person.
2. Create a job description. Discuss, agree and
write down the duties you expect your domestic
worker to perform.
3. Introduce your new employee to your home environment.
Show her how you want things done and set
timeframes for her to get used to the new system.
4. Provide tools and resources. You cannot expect clean
laundry if there's no detergent for the washing.
5. When a misunderstanding occurs, deal with the
problem immediately. It's no use telling your friends
what your domestic worker did wrong – to fix the
problem, you have to address her directly.
Au Pair Exclusive 011 624 2741
Choice Child Care 011 787 2528
Super Sitters 021 439 4985, www.supersitters.co.za
Mary Poppins College and Placement Services
021 674 6689, www.marypoppins.co.za
Complete Child Care www.completechildcare.co.za
MAID 4 Me www.maid4me.co.za