Carolyn Holgate is the General Manager for Mweb Connect. Read more
Hi - I use the internet at work, but my grade 3 daughter now has to do internet searches for school projects (!!??!!). My good old dial-up connection is too slow for images, etc, but I still don't need a "Rolls Royce" ADSL connection.
What is the most cost-effective way to connect to the internet at home?
Thanks so much for question.
The first thing you need to do is assess how much data you think you'll be downloading or uploading each month.
If you are going to be downloading large amounts of information, then MWEB's new launched uncapped ADSL starting at R219.00 per month is for you.
Uncapped ADSL allows for unlimited downloads and uploads without having to worry about being cut off from your internet. You can download and upload to your heart's content.
It is going to change your life, both in terms of what you can do with it and as a result of it.
Let's say you're an ordinary family of four, with three PCs. You want to stay in telephonic touch with friends and family, your teenagers want to do projects, and it would be nice to download a few movies and songs once in a while without breaking the bank. But what you and I consider 'regular' Internet behaviour can very easily result in massive amounts of data being sent and received.
If everyone in the house watches 10 minutes of YouTube video a day, makes a 20-minute Skype call, browses and e-mails for 30 minutes, and downloads an MP3 every other day as well as two standard-definition TV episodes and one movie a month, that's 20 gigabytes right there. And for just R219 per month, you can get all that, and more.
However, if you're only going online once in a while for a quick search, then there are alternative options available from MWEB.
The entry level capped option offers you 1GB of data at R69.00 per month.
The benefits of this option are:
* If your cap runs out, it's easy to top up
* Phone and surf at the same time
* Pay a fixed monthly price - no surprises
* Perfectly suited for small families and home offices
All you need is an existing post paid telephone line; a Broadband ADSL subscription from MWEB; a Broadband ADSL modem or router (Available from MWEB for only R599) and a desktop or laptop PC.
In addition, you will receive the following from MWEB:
* 300 Wi-Fi Minutes: As an MWEB Customer you get 300 Wi-Fi minutes at Wi-Fi hotspots around the country. Always stay connected whether you're in the transit lounge at OR Tambo International or sipping the froth off a fresh cappuccino.
* Web SMS: Send batch SMS messages from your computer via the internet and add the costs to your monthly bill
* 4 extra email addresses: Spread the word, and get the family connected with 4 extra email addresses
* MWEB FaxMail: Send and receive faxes via email
* MTalk Webcall: Call your family and friends for much cheaper than using a normal phone line
ADSL as the primary at-home option still offers a superior experience, and small wireless bundles are available through MWEB to fill the gap when you leave your home-base.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate in calling our customer care line on 08600 32000.