Forevermark is a diamond brand from the De Beers group of companies and as such, benefits from over 120 years of diamond expertise.
1. What is the earliest known evidence of diamond mining and where did this happen?
The earliest records of diamond mining is in the Golconda region of India (just outside of present day Hyderabad, in the State of Andhra Pradesh) 800BC.
2. For how long have people used diamonds for adornment?
Since the earliest days diamonds have been worn as adornments, particularly by Royalty. Originally, men in India wore diamonds because they believed they would give them good health, strength and power.
The word ‘diamond’ is derived from the Greek word ‘adamas’ meaning indomitable or invincible. In Roman times, they were known as ‘A Gift of the Gods’ not worthy of everyone, synonymous with power both human and divine.
3. Is there any way of knowing, even anecdotally, how many diamonds have been mined over human history?
Diamonds have been found and mined for at least over 3000 years.
4. Interesting facts, figures and milestones in the history of diamonds
- Diamonds are between 900 million to 4.25 billion years old
- The first diamond engagement given was by Archduke Maximilian in 1477 to his betrothed Mary of Burgundy
- 1888 De Beers Consolidated Mines was founded in South Africa
- 1947 De Beers unveils the slogan ‘A Diamond is Forever’ - in 2000, Advertising Age magazine named "A Diamond Is Forever" the best advertising slogan of the twentieth century
- Diamonds are 4 times harder than the next hardest mineral, providing some of the rationale behind the origin of their name
- The carbon atoms that form diamond are so tightly packed they slow the speed of light down from 300,000km per sec to 124,000km per sec which is why a well cut Forevermark diamond displays such amazing brilliance.
About Forevermark – The Brand
Forevermark is a diamond brand, which comes from the De Beers family of companies. Forevermark diamonds
are carefully selected and come from sources committed to the highest
standards; are beautifully crafted by a select group of diamantaires;
and are exclusively available in select jewellers.
Visit Forevermark.com for more information.
Discover The Most Carefully Selected Diamonds In The World. Visit Your Nearest Forevermark Retailer.