A beautifully lined eye adds sophistication and style to any make-up look, so this technique is well worth the effort! It takes a little practice to master the technique, so try these useful tips.
Store your liquid eyeliner next to your make-up remover (as a reminder to practise regularly) and each evening before removing your make-up, practise the application. This way you don't need to worry about messing up your look, as you are about to wash off anyway!
The eyes are so much easier to apply make-up to if you are able to move the mirror from above and below the eyes, so don't just use a wall-mounted mirror. Adjustable mirrors are a prerequisite for liquid lines!
A fine tip, firm-hair brush is the key to a perfect line. Take a trip to an art supply store and invest in a pointed tip art brush in Size 0 or Size 00. They're not expensive and may be the solution to those bumpy edges in your line!
1. Transfer the eyeliner from its applicator to your art brush.
2. Start with the upper lash line and position the mirror beneath your nose, lift your chin high and apply as close as possible to the top lashes while stretching the skin a little outward. Work from the inner eye corner to the outer eye corner.
3. Dip a cotton bud into a little eye make-up remover, pinch the head of the bud into a flat tip and use the bud to even out any 'wobbles' on the line before the line dries completely.
4. (This step is optional) Now holding the mirror slightly above the eye, apply the liner to the lower lid, but only at the outer corners of the eye. Immediately after, use a cotton bud to blend the liner towards the center of the eye, gradually softening to no visible line. You shouldn’t see a solid line on the lower lid, but you need to apply some darkness to the corners to balance the upper lines.
5. Extend the eyeliner from the outer corners in a diagonal, upward 'tick', not longer than your own eyelashes. This extension is thickest at the corner of the eye and thins to a fine point (just like the end of your eyelashes).
6. Wash your art brush after use and store upright in a glass or jar.
Dramatic eyeliner can be as effective with nude eyeshadow applications as dark sultry eyes. It's ideal for evening wear, especially with extra layers of mascara to the upper outer eyelashes.